Manual proxy configuration BackDoor?

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:13 PM

The Network setting  for manual proxy configuration
is asking for my network/windows login info
now I sure your not going to you this as a backdoor to get info people computer and have there user name and password and can get the ip
but the souce can be download and change then post and it will look will ME with a back door made to the users computer
can you and a security signature to where a user will know that the info enter is not being pass back to a server.

the update check and web icon worked before this was add but now they do not work without this info
is there way to set proxy and not have to enter even IE has this  and dose not ask for username and password

I try to use the auto-Dect proxy but it did not work

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM

jacobcordingley,

AutoDetect proxy should work as before. If it doesn't work then it is a bug. So if your ME had internet connection before then it should has now. User should specify Username/Password only when proxy requres authentication and proxy doesn't support windows authentication. Will be fixed soon.

Please, submit here log error details when you try to perform autoupdate check.

Thank you for feedback.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

ErrorID: 46af4e26-18c0-4899-bb3b-82a5a779238e
Date: 7/13/2010 8:04:18 AM
Message: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
Type: System.Net.WebException
Framework version: .NET CLR 2.0.50727;.NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152;.NET CLR 3.5.30729;.NET4.0C;.NET4.0E
Data:
Native Code:
StackTrace:    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
   at MouseExtender.Logic.Managers.UpdateManager.DownloadReleaseRss()
   at MouseExtender.Logic.Managers.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdates(Uri& latestReleaseUrl, Version& latestVersion)
   at MouseExtender.Logic.Managers.UpdateManager.OnСheckForUpdates(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Please, answer the following questions. I need additional details in order to solve this issue.

1. Are you using proxy when you use innternet browser?

2. If yes, how it configured (no need to say what exactly you input just say where)

3. If you configure proxy manually how/when/where you enter your credentials?

Thanks,

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM

yes

under internet options > connections > LAN Settings >

Automatically detect setting unchecked
Use Automatic configuration script Checked
Address http://proxy.___

I don't enter my credentials to get online other then when i log onto my computer

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I see.

Soon I will create additional version for you and we will test it together.

Thanks,

Alexey.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Ok

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Please, find updated version in attached to WI file:

http://me.codeplex.com/Project/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=me&WorkItemId=8988&FileAttachmentId=3217

If you still getting the error please post it here.

And will continue investigation...

Thanks,

Alexey.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM

That Fixed it

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Great! You can use 1.9.5.4 version until next release (because it will be 1.9.5.4 too :) )

Tnx for feedback

Good job!

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Jacob, I'd like to add a few comments on this topic as I see it.

I totally understand your concerns, but this is why we share the ME code - we do not want such concerns to appear.

Anyway, if someone has feeling that ME includes dangerous code, he could check the code using independent code analyst.

I don't want to be rude, I'm just trying to show what I'm thinking about this situation.

Alex.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I trust you,ME Team and the code,  but I have seen where you can download this program from differnt web site (I would never do) and they could change to code to capture this info
I know there is not much you can do to stop it. 

I still love your program and will always use it  

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM

:)

Thank you Jacob!

The only way to solve this problem is to sign ME and use only 1 trusted download source.

Alex