New Activation Method

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:07 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Has anyone tried out this portable mouse launcher Radial Menu. ME & RM are made in a similar spirit, to launch programs effortlessly using only the mouse. The thing I like most about RM is that its program activation method only requires a single button press. You simply right-click and drag down to bring up the interface, then release RightButton when the cursor is over the program you want. I think this would be a great activation method for Mouse Extender. Plus, since ME can scroll through tabs (or if 'auto activate tabs' gets implemented ;)), one could easily move through tabs while holding the activation button to get @ different program groups.

Mainly with the RightButton for myself (I use the middle button for drag to scroll gestures), but MiddleButton activation would be good for others.

Jermain,

P.S. Radial Menu hasn't switched me away from Mouse Extender. I just really love it's activation method.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Graviton, thanks for the information.

Basically, we've seen a lot of mouse launchers, also, we've considered a lot of activation ways.

Currently the activation process is tightly coupled with the ME core so it can be changed easily. Especially, with right button we faced some very strange issues in WPF.

ps. I'm pretty sure that you know you can activate ME by right click (with modified key)

Alex.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM

You're right Alex,

I currently use Shift+RClick to activate ME (have the shift key assigned on the right-tilt of my scrollwheel to make activation even easier, don't have to touch the keyboard).

I just really liked straight forward single-press dragging-right-button to activate a program. If ME were to use this method it would need a neutral area though, to prevent accidentally launching a program. Either an empty section where the cursor would initially be; or open ME in a completely neutral state (ME logo or user defined image), then the user could go to whatever tabs they wanted. All with the single press of a button.

I would write something like this if I knew coding ;) sadly I don't.

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM

You see it's not so easy to change activation way :(