3 Major flaws but overall a very very good Job?

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM

So what is this all about?

I like the app very much and it can go a long way, but there are just a few kinks to sort out:

1. Memory consumption: compared to a similar application with the exact same config, Mouse Extender cosumes 24Mb and ObjDock only 8Mb (and i configured .pngs for every app in ObjDock ). Also it  could be a little faster with the load times, faster is better, remember people will like it have starting up, and starting faster makes a big change.

2. Icon size: it's quite nice/ slick but for many people the small size is a down side, so being able to customize it would be great, not everybody enjoys precise clicking games with the icons.

3. Tooltips: I know that having only icons is the new style nowadays but your app is meant to unclutter your desktop space, so that means quite a lot of icons. By not having a constant subtext for every entry or at least an instant tooltip for mouse-over it becomes very hard to differentiate icons and software.

There are some other small design issues but these are the main themes that you might consider attacking in the next programming section!

Cheers mates!

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Hello!

We are excited about your feedback! Our team is glad that you like ME  :)

Let me explain some details on the issues you mentioned.

Memory consumption is a problem, who mind, but the WPF technology we are using is a memory-depended technology. Empty WPF program (empty simple window) takes 20 megs in memory. ME is an advanced application with effects and graphics. So, we suppose 24 megs is not a problem nowadays.  In every build we do some optimizations on performance and resources, and we are going to take this issue under consideration.

As far as I know, we have tooltips available in ME. If problem is that they are showing in some delay, we can allow user to configure the tooltip show delay. Will this solve the problem you talk?

Next, I didn't get what do you want to customize - size of icons? Now, we have 2 options - normal view (default) and compact view. You can use any you like.

Thank you,

Sincerely yours, Alex.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I know 24 megs represents only about 0.05% out of a standard 4 gig rig, but I'm worried with new improvements done to the app it will go a lot further with the memory consumption. Also the thing that is more of a matter here is the loading time. People would want to have the app automatically start up, and with the 2.5s cold boot load time on a standard dual core machine it won't give the average user the snappy response time you would expect after restarting his machine.

Yes, minimizing the tooltip delay will make a definite improvement to the overall experience, and the ability to have a shortcut title (if the user wants it) like in standard shortcuts, will also be considered a nice improvement.

Finally, to improve readability, people would want the icons to go higher than 32x32, and to be able to tweak screen text size (tabs and tooltips).

Application skinning isn't a problem in this stage of development and maybe it will never will be, due to the nice brass finish and the overall rounded interface that pleases the most of us, but the little bits mentioned here will go a long way for the moment.

With Respect, Alex (too :P)!

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Again, Hello!

I got your idea now perfectly.

Startup time is important and we are working on it. It's not always related with Ram consumed. Currently, lag reason is other (i.e. loading icons). But I'm pleased that you want to help us! :)

Other moments you mentioned are worth adding them as Issues to our issues list (http://me.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx).

Thus, you will kill two birds with one stone - we will not forget to do them and other peope will be able to vote for them. Votes count will show to us how important the issue is for ME users.

Sincerely yours, Alexander.